Wednesday, September 18, 2013

1F25 Post 1: Media Impact


The media affects people who are somehow connected to cable television and/or the World Wide Web, which is practically everyone. Through mass media, societies are presented with information that they form an opinion on. However, the most popular sources of information are the most corrupt. In turn, the information presented is biased and we create opinions based on the opinions of the media. As a result, the mass media has a significant effect on our societies that is more often bad than good.

I have been using Tumblr for over three years. For people who aren’t on the blogging site, there is a stigma around being a user because it carries a stereotype of providing nothing more than pictures of adolescent girls with their Starbucks drinks, and that lacks authenticity (note that with the boom of popularity Tumblr has experienced recently, Starbucks has become a favourable choice amongst adolescent girls – an impact of media). Being a user, however, I learned that Tumblr is an excellent source of information.

When I started using Tumblr, I was centre-left politically. With frequent use, I found people who stood against social standards. I learned more about corruption in popular political parties (the majority of their focus being on power and wealth) as well as in other sources (I.E the CNN and CBC). I frequently find images containing nudity in a non-sexualized manner – especially of women – in an attempt to normalize and end objectification/“sexualization” of the naked body. This pushed me to be more open with what is censored in our society, which has now changed my political view. I have become much further left wing, and I get infuriated with almost all news stations because their depictions of stories and presentation of information is biased.
While media sources can be corrupt, it is an excellent method of campaign and awareness. A large portion of its audiences are brainwashed and thus believe everything that it feeds them. Many media sources now take advantage of this by doing two things:

1.     Exposing the corruption in other sources.
2.     Promoting awareness of the unpopular.

The “Let’s Call Bull#$!T” (http://callbs.ca) campaign, otherwise known as “Call BS”, is a prime example of using media to promote awareness. Their objective is to bring more attention to mental illness in youth by “calling bs” on how society deals (or fails to) with it; they expose corrupt sources while promoting awareness. I had my share of mental health issues throughout secondary school and I found that Call BS not only sends messages; it receives them. Their website allows anyone to express themselves anonymously. However, those confessions are posted publicly and they bluntly use them in their advertising. This method of campaigning is controversial but it’s one that I put most of my faith in, because it’s one of the few sources of information that remains less concerned with money than with the issue at hand. Media has impacted me in such a way that I now only trust few sources of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment